Capstone Studio, MHCI+D, University of Washington
My team’s research began by acquiring domain knowledge through a literature review, competitive analysis, heuristic evaluations of existing products, and a popular media scan.
Through such investigations we began to understand the scope of the problem along with a variety of infrequently used technological solutions. Nearly all applications and devices are in-the-moment threat responses (such as panic buttons) or location tracking applications.
Our primary research phase led to insights for future design solutions. Our research plan consisted of subject matter expert interviews, as well as recruiting female-identifying UW students to participate in field research, diary studies, and semi-structured interviews.
3 Participants, Ongoing
Journal Entries (web and paper)
5 Diary Study Participants
Mental Map Exercise
Diary Materials Discussion
Seattle Neighborhood Exercise
Our primary and secondary research led us to our research findings. We worked as a group to develop the following design principles to guide us through the ideation and design process. For our complete process, review our Research Summary Report
Finding: There are difficulties assessing threat, as well as fear of unnecessary escalation
1. Encourage lower thresholds for action
2. Provide Better Risk Assessment
Finding: Women make strategic efforts to protect their own safety.
3. Compliment existing personal strategies
Finding: Women feel safer around and seek out the presence of other people.
4. Encourage the inclusion and support of other people.
Finding: Communication of fear is an ongoing issue.
5. Encourage open and natural communication
6. Provide opportunities to organize community efforts
Working between individual ideation methods and more structured group ideation sessions we developed 7 concept directions.
After narrowing in on our most feasible and impactful concepts; VR Defense Training and Connecting Businesses and Pedestrians through Environmental Reporting, we felt that we needed to have a concept that was more directly connected to the in-the-moment experience of walking. We decided to spend a day broadening our concepts again, looking back at prior ideas and trying new ideation methods.
I drew a stakeholder map to look at individuals and institutions who were closest to this walking experience. Then, Sara, Sarah and I spent the day trying the Action Verb and Brainwriting methods. We ended up with a concept that connected an uneasy walker to others in the surrounding area through a button press.
This work led to our three most compelling ideas. Features of these three ideas made their way into our final concept.
We also developed a handy experience timeline from our research. This helped us to re-focus on the in-the-moment experiences as well as the tackle larger challenges of environment, communication, and education.
My team developed the Ramble mobile application concept, a synthesis of many earlier concepts, as our design solution. See the application here
© 2019 Julie Sutherland UX IxD